bsd-games (inactive since 2005, others may have newer versions)
I have not been actively maintaining bsd-games since 2005.
Other people may have newer versions of the code, and those I know of
are linked to from here; please let me know if you have another
version you'd like listed.
In 1996/7 I had some bugfixes to the bsd-games collection for
GNU/Linux, and wanted to do something useful with them. Since this
collection had been essentially unmaintained since 1993, I ended up
receiving maintainership from the previous maintainer. The current
version is 2.17 released 2005 February 18: bsd-games-2.17.tar.gz
(MD5 sum 238a38a3a017ca9b216fc42bde405639) and bsd-games-non-free-2.17.tar.gz
(MD5 sum f70b5fe38c3dd82b44024263819621f9), available from
ibiblio.org. Binary packages are available in Debian and maybe
other distributions whose maintainers for the package haven’t
contacted me. Note that this collection is for GNU/Linux and GNU/Hurd
only although parts may be more generally portable.
The version control history of bsd-games is available on GitHub;
there may be some peculiarities arising from the sequence of past
conversions (tarballs to CVS to SVN to git) although I tried to clean
most of those up in the conversion to git (some small corrections were
made early 2015-01-19 (UTC) and force-pushed, so if you fetched before
then you should refetch). The master branch has the
main history. The netbsd branch has an import of the
last version of NetBSD CVS merged from (successive snapshots merged
from were not version controlled at the time, so previous merges do
not have specific information about the version merged from). NetBSD
files were from src/games except for wtf/acronyms and
wtf/acronyms.comp (from src/share/misc) and dm/utmpentry.c and
dm/utmpentry.h (from src/usr.bin/who). The
legacy-scripts branch contains some miscellaneous
scripts that were used in development, for information for anyone
maintaining a version of this code. I may be able to provide people
maintaining versions of this code with various
unprocessed bug reports, although since most bug reports came in via
Debian a sensible starting point, apart from merging in the past ten
years’ changes from NetBSD, would be to go through Debian bug
reports (both open and closed) and patches to identify relevant
- Version 2.17 (2005-02-18): bsd-games-2.17.tar.gz, bsd-games-2.17.lsm, bsd-games-non-free-2.17.tar.gz, bsd-games-non-free-2.17.lsm.
- Version 2.16 (2004-02-13): bsd-games-2.16.tar.gz, bsd-games-2.16.lsm, bsd-games-non-free-2.16.tar.gz, bsd-games-non-free-2.16.lsm.
- Version 2.15 (2003-12-18): bsd-games-2.15.tar.gz, bsd-games-2.15.lsm, bsd-games-non-free-2.15.tar.gz, bsd-games-non-free-2.15.lsm.
- Version 2.14 (2003-04-01): bsd-games-2.14.tar.gz, bsd-games-2.14.lsm, bsd-games-non-free-2.14.tar.gz, bsd-games-non-free-2.14.lsm.
- Version 2.13 (2001-08-30): bsd-games-2.13.tar.gz, bsd-games-2.13.lsm, bsd-games-non-free-2.13.tar.gz, bsd-games-non-free-2.13.lsm.
- Version 2.12 (2000-09-25): bsd-games-2.12.tar.gz, bsd-games-2.12.lsm, bsd-games-non-free-2.12.tar.gz, bsd-games-non-free-2.12.lsm.
- Version 2.11 (2000-04-19): bsd-games-2.11.tar.gz, bsd-games-2.11.lsm, bsd-games-non-free-2.11.tar.gz, bsd-games-non-free-2.11.lsm.
- Version 2.10 (2000-02-12): bsd-games-2.10.tar.gz, bsd-games-2.10.lsm (no corresponding bsd-games-non-free release).
- Version 2.9 (1999-11-12): bsd-games-2.9.tar.gz, bsd-games-2.9.lsm (no corresponding bsd-games-non-free release).
- Version 2.8 (1999-09-26): bsd-games-2.8.tar.gz, bsd-games-2.8.lsm, bsd-games-non-free-2.8.tar.gz, bsd-games-non-free-2.8.lsm.
- Version 2.7 (1999-04-04): bsd-games-2.7.tar.gz, bsd-games-2.7.lsm, bsd-games-non-free-2.7.tar.gz, bsd-games-non-free-2.7.lsm.
- Version 2.6 (1998-12-20): bsd-games-2.6.tar.gz, bsd-games-2.6.lsm, bsd-games-non-free-2.6.tar.gz, bsd-games-non-free-2.6.lsm.
- Version 2.5 (1998-09-24): bsd-games-2.5.tar.gz, bsd-games-2.5.lsm, bsd-games-non-free-2.5.tar.gz, bsd-games-non-free-2.5.lsm.
- Version 2.4 (1998-09-05): bsd-games-2.4.tar.gz, bsd-games-2.4.lsm, bsd-games-non-free-2.4.tar.gz, bsd-games-non-free-2.4.lsm.
- Version 2.3 (1998-08-19): bsd-games-2.3.tar.gz, bsd-games-2.3.lsm, bsd-games-non-free-2.3.tar.gz, bsd-games-non-free-2.3.lsm.
- Version 2.2 (1998-08-15): bsd-games-2.2.tar.gz, bsd-games-2.2.lsm, bsd-games-non-free-2.2.tar.gz, bsd-games-non-free-2.2.lsm.
- Version 2.1 (1998-03-29): bsd-games-2.1.tar.gz, bsd-games-2.1.lsm, bsd-games-non-free-2.1.tar.gz, bsd-games-non-free-2.1.lsm.
- Version 2.0 (1997-12-25): bsd-games-2.0.tar.gz, bsd-games-2.0.lsm, bsd-games-non-free-2.0.tar.gz, bsd-games-non-free-2.0.lsm.
- Version 1.5 (1997-07-17): bsd-games-1.5.tar.gz, bsd-games-1.5.lsm, bsd-games-non-free-1.5.tar.gz, bsd-games-non-free-1.5.lsm.
- Version 1.4 (1997-05-07): bsd-games-1.4.tar.gz, bsd-games-1.4.lsm, bsd-games-non-free-1.4.tar.gz, bsd-games-non-free-1.4.lsm.
- Version 1.3 (1993-10-25): bsd-games.src-1.3.tar.gz, bsd-games.src-1.3.lsm, bsd-games.bin-1.3.tar.gz, bsd-games.bin-1.3.lsm.
- Version 1.2 (1993-08-25): bsd-games.src-1.2.tar.gz, bsd-games.bin-1.2.tar.gz (I don’t have the LSM files).
- Version 1.1 (1993-08-19): I don’t have this version.
- Version 1.0 (1993-08-17): I don’t have this version.
Return to my software page
Return to my home page
Contact: Joseph Myers
12 June 2016